The Centre for Digestive Diseases
Centre for Digestive Diseases
Level 1, 229 Great North Road
Five Dock NSW 2046
Telephone: 61 2 9713 4011
(Eastern Standard Time)
Business Hours 7am-5pm Monday-Friday only.
Fax: 61 2 9712 1675
For all enquiries please contact the Centre and make an appointment to see one of our doctors.
We will happily provide medical practitioners with any information requested as well as our treatment protocols.
What is Faecal Microbiota Transplantation
The human bowel contains a complex population of bacteria known as the gut microbiota. These organisms and the chemicals they produce can affect the bowel and the body as a whole and these effects can have both positive and negative impacts on a person’s health. The human gut microbiota protects us from pathogenic or ‘bad’ bacteria.
FMT involves the infusion of healthy human donor faecal bacteria via colonoscope or enema into a bowel that contains abnormal bacteria that are making the bowel ‘sick’. This infusion process can be a single infusion or it can be repeated over a period of time, depending on the severity of the patient’s condition.
The use of healthy human flora appears to be the most complete probiotic treatment available today, capable of eradicating ‘bad’ bacteria and spores and supplying ‘good’ bacteria for recolonisation of the gut in certain conditions.
The Centre for Digestive Diseases offers FMT primarily for the treatment of Clostridium difficile but will also consider treating patients with ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel sydrome, constipation and Crohn’s disease. Other conditions will be assessed on a case by case basis.
FMT is a clinical treatment offered at our centre, not a trial and all costs are to be covered by the patient.
You may be expected to stay in Australia for a period of between 2 and 10 weeks. You may be able to travel back to your home country during this time between the initial assessments and the FMT procedure/s.
Approximation of Costs:
AUD $ 10,000 - $ 15,000.00
If you reside overseas and are interested in undergoing the FMT procedure we require the following information:
- Your full name and date of birth
- Contact details including phone number/s and address (including country codes)
- A brief summary of the symptoms you are experiencing
- Your most recent test results and medical reports including blood and stool tests, panendoscopy and colonoscopy reports.
- A Doctor’s Letter from either your Gastroenterologist or Primary Care Physician, on letterhead paper, specifying the following:
- Principal diagnosis
- Medical history
- Other medical issues
- Current medications
- Medication allergies
- A statement acknowledging that the doctor is willing to resume your care after the FMT procedure is completed and you return to your home country, or supervise ‘home FMT’ if that is required.
Please have this information ready at the time of your scheduled Information Session.
Your Next Step:
If you are interested in finding out more about the FMT treatment offered at the Centre for Digestive Diseases, the next step for you is to book in for a telephone or skype information session. This will incur the cost of AUD $100 which you may pay using credit card when you call for the appointment.
The purpose of the Information Session is to:
- Provide general information about FMT (what it is and why it is used),
- Explain a broad overview of the procedure and what is involved,
- Give a general estimation of the costs involved.
- Answer your general questions
Please note that this is not a consultation and we will be unable to determine your suitability for the FMT treatment until you have undergone a thorough assessment including a consultation, colonoscopy and panendoscopy with the gastroenterologist in Australia.
To book this appointment please call Reception on +61 2 9713 4011.
At the time of the phone consultation you will need to call Reception approximately 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to make payment. you will then be put through to the FMT Specialist Nurse for your information session.